Friday, January 28, 2011

Housebreaking

I was going to do a post about Bentley but decided to do him next post.  Instead I feel compelled to discuss, ahem, housebreaking.

When I got Blossom and Sawyer I had no concerns about housebreaking them or training them.  I had had dogs before, and they were trained.  No problem.  Or so I thought.  I had bought a dachshund magazine while I was waiting for them to be old enough to be picked up.  This magazine was pretty forthright about dachshunds and their stubborn quirks.  It also discussed training issues.  I remember that I thought, oops maybe I've gotten the wrong dogs.  But then I looked at their little pictures and how cute they were so I didn't worry.  After all, the magazine also discussed how dachshunds are wonderful and loving little dogs.  And besides, I knew everything about training a dog.

Well, when Baylee joined us several months later Blossom and Sawyer still had not learned to go to the back door and ask to go out.  When I took them out it was hit or miss.  We had accidents (x2) all the time.  Finally I started putting them in a wire cage at night.  This helped, or at least it kept the kitchen floor clean overnight.  Baylee didn't catch on either.  I just didn't get it, I was frustrated and my house was stinky. 

I finally gave in and decided that I needed some expert advice.  I found a book that utilized a 7 day plan to housebreak a dog.  It was excellent.  I found it easy to read, and realized that I had been on the right track but just didn't have it quite together.  So for the last week we've done this training.  Bentley is really too little, but I've included him in the plan and he has done quite well.  It has been hard to keep the dogs in the kitchen all the time but we are having success.  Last night I let them loose in the house for a little while, and again tonight.  No problems.  Now when I say "let's go outside" and open the doggie gate they all run to the back door.  And we usually average about a 90% success rate with outings.

But here's the funny part.  I don't know if they are really trained or if I'm now the one that's trained.  We'll see! 

No comments:

Post a Comment