Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Why Do I Love Dachshunds?

I don't know what it is about these little dogs that I love so much.  I never dreamed of owning dachshunds (see my first post!) although they were cute and I had been around several in my life.  What was it that called to me to get the first two?  The cute faces? Maybe, but they did call to me.  And what is about them that has made me fall in love with all dachshunds?

Let me see, is it that long body?  More body to run your hand down and then give a loving pat to.  Maybe.  Is it those short, chunky little legs?  They are so cute, especially when they are running or digging.  I love to walk behind them and watch those little legs and swaying bodies trot along!  Or is it the protruding chest that makes them look so regal?  Is it those sweet, almond shaped, brown, loving eyes?  No, most dogs have sweet loving eyes or so it seems to me. Is it that long nose, so useful for digging in the dirt?  Or those ears, those thick soft ears? Is it their face and their many expressions?  Is it their independent thinking?  Their personalities? 

Like the often quoted poem says, "How do I love thee?  Let me count the ways..."

1 comment:

  1. I never dreamed of owning Dachshunds either. Hardly knew they existed until my roommate got one (Chester, who is now mine). Now I am not sure if I would get another kind of dog. I can't put my finger on it either but I know one things is that they are small, which makes them good for City apartment living and easy to take places, but also tough enough to hike with us. And they are just so darn cute! :)

    ReplyDelete